Tuesday 30 October 2012

My Ride to Conquer Cancer


Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, but really... f#ck cancer!!




 I was 8 when cancer first visited my family. The year was 1986 and I remember seeing my Dad very upset and telling me that he had to fly to Melbourne. His sister had lost her battle with bone cancer. I was too young to remember her as we lived in North Queensland and she was in Victoria but I remember how it hurt my Dad.

In 1992 cancer struck again and I lost part of my heart. My Mums sister, my beloved Aunty, lost her battle with cancer. She had Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer of the lymph tissue. She was only 30 years young.

I was 14 when she died and I'd watched her suffer for over 2 years. I remember feeling so helpless that I couldn't help her. 

She was a very special part of my life. 


It sucks but I don't have any photos of Aunty other than these old ones. No such thing as digital cameras back then and all the old photo albums are with her kids now. She didn't like photos in the last few years of her life anyway :(


My weekends were spent at her place. Riding horses and running amok! She taught me to drive, took me where ever I wanted to go and pretty much spoilt me rotten! 

She left behind 4 kids. 4 year old twins girls, a 6 year old daughter and an 8 year old son. Four children would grow up without a Mum and I lost my gorgeous Aunty.

Life went on. Somehow.

Then 4 days into the new millennium in 2000 my Granddads body couldn't take any more and cancer took another member of my family. This time is was bowel cancer. He was only diagnosed 6 weeks earlier. I was 7 months pregnant and he was 46 days short of meeting his first ever great grand child. My Nanna was to be a widow, my Mum and my other Aunty lost their Dad and me, my siblings and my cousins were without a Granddad.

Cancer had taken yet another member of my family and it sucked! But what could I do? I was young and didn't really know anything.

Now that I'm older and as fit as I've ever been I think it's time to give back! I heard about The Ride to Conquer Cancer for 2012 but not with enough time to fund-raise.

The one for 2013 is different! Way different! I have 354 days left to do it!



The Ride to Conquer Cancer is a cycling journey throughout the scenic countryside of Western Australia that I'm embarking on to fight cancer. It will be a challenge in a number of ways, but with my bike, my helmet, and hopefully, maybe, possibly, your generosity, a real impact can and will be made!


Funds raised in The Ride to Conquer Cancer will help support ground breaking  critical cancer research being undertaken at the Western Australian Institute for Medical Research (WAIMR), Western Australias premier adult medical research institute, investigating the genetic and environmental causes of a range of diseases.


I'm doing this in honour of my family members lost to this horrid disease and to give others the opportunity for more time with their special people!

As part of my entry I need to fund raise a minimum of $2500 to take part in the actual ride. I really hate asking for donations but I've been told that it's the only way! Do you have a spare $2? Every little bit helps. Any donations, however big or small will go a long way to supporting this amazing cause. All money raised will go directly to support cancer patients and families. 


Your donation will be paid directly into a WAIMR bank account, so funds will be available for its immediate use. There will be no need to wait until the event is over for the presentation of a big cardboard cheque.

WAIMR is registered with the Australian Taxation Office as a Deductible Gift Recipient, so everyone who donates $2 or more will receive a Tax Receipt.


I'm hoping to also hunt down a few big sponsors in the way of Perth businesses  If you have any other ideas or experience with fund raising large amounts of money I would absolutely LOVE to hear them!! I'm thinking car washes and sausage sizzles. What else???

Please click here or any picture above to donate!

Please feel free to share my plea for help!

Big smooshy thank you kisses in advance!!








Doing it for

Theresa Ballantyne passed away on the 30/08/1986
Veronica May Stuart 05/05/1962 - 17/11/1992
James John Stuart 01/03/1932 - 04/01/2000

and everyone else who has been affected by cancer





Joining up with Jess for her last ever #IBOT over at Diary of a SAHM before her big unveiling over at Essentially Jess!





And because this is such an awesome important cause I'm also flashing my blog over with Bree at Twinkle in the Eye and flogging my blog with Grace at With Some Grace




 



16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of your losses. My friends husband was diagnosed with cancer. Luckily they got it all and he is now doing well. I wish you well on your journey to ride for cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the girls at work just did this - such a great achievement. Good luck for your training, it is a wonderful way to honour your family members' memories xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photographs are beautiful. I hope you achieve the target you've set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee I hate cancer. Really, really hate it!
    I went to donate, but they don't have a pay pal option. Is there some way to get one on there? Random question I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm - I didn't realise that Jess - that sucks.... I have sent them an email... I checked the donation form that they have instead of online donations and it only has credit card or cheque... that sucks too.... You'd think they'd have a paypal option!!! The only other option I can see for paypal is paypaling straight to my paypal account then I enter it as a cash donation... The website says that if I get a cash donation then I can use my credit card to donate online but enter the details of the person who donated and they get the tax receipt...
      BUT I can understand that some people might be a bit funny about that!!
      I really can't believe that they don't have paypal!! Oh well, will see what they say when they respond to me.....

      Delete
  5. Good for you and I will sponsor you. As a Mum I can never read of the death of a young mum with young kids without feeling really distressed. There's too much sadness in the world sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too right there is Seana! I'm hoping to be able to help change that! Thanks for stopping by xx

      Delete
  6. This is an awesome goal and a wonderful tribute to the those who have been lost to cancer. Best wishes on your journey. You are doing something extremely worthwhile. Denyse

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear of the loss of your family members. My Dad has had cancer twice in the lymph nodes in his neck and has managed to fight it both times.
    I am more than happy to sponsor you for the ride - what a great thing to do for them. Will be back with my credit card.
    Have the best weekend !
    Me
    #FYBF visitor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to hear a cancer survivor story!! Thanks for stopping by - I really appreciate it! xx

      Delete
  8. Oh, love. So sorry to hear about your losses. The Big C is just terrible, horrible beyond words. My FIL died 12 years ago from had Hodgkin's lymphoma. Sadly, this all happened way before I had the chance to meet him.
    That's awesome you're doing The Ride. Cheering for you all the way, girlfriend! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave me a comment. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! {I've removed "Anonymous Users" as I was getting waaaaaay too much stupid spammy comments!}